Moneydance 2014 offers the ability to manually export a backup to a location of your choosing (external hard drive, thumb drive, etc. The backup is a compressed file, and for data fidelity reasons does not contain data related to syncing with mobile devices (such as iPhones/iPads/etc).
To open this compressed backup file:
- Rename the backup file so the file extension is .zip
- Extract/unzip this file (Mac users can do so by double clicking the zip file, Windows users can do so by right clicking the zip file and selecting "Extract All")
- After unzipping you will see your Moneydance file folder with a name like "MyFileName.moneydance"
- If you would like to move the location where your data file is stored do so now by moving the entire "MyFileName.moneydance" folder to the desired location
- Open Moneydance 2014. If you do not see the "Welcome to Moneydance" window go to the Moneydance menu bar, open the "Window" menu, then select "Welcome to Moneydance"
- Click the "Open Other" button in the lower left hand corner of the "Welcome to Moneydance" Window
- Navigate to the "MyFileName.moneydance" folder's location, click the folder to select it, then click "Open" to open the file in Moneydance
- Now you're all set!
If you have any questions about restoring from backups just click on the "Ask Us" tab to get in touch with our friendly support team.